Even though your child has been to the dentist before, he still has questions. This doesn't necessarily mean that he's scared or anxious about his upcoming appointment. Your child may not remember what happens at the office or he may be curious about what the dentist does. How can you answer his questions in a way that a child would understand? Try reading a picture book that features dentists or children going to the dental office. These age-appropriate books will help to paint a picture of what will happen at the visit, who the dentist is and what your child should expect.
1. ABC Dentist: Healthy Teeth from A to Z by Harriet Ziefert and Liz Murphy. This alphabet-themed book goes beyond introducing the dentist. With collage-style illustrations and easy-to-understand language, this book also will help your child to learn dental vocabulary such as cavity, plaque and x-ray. Building your young child's vocabulary is a key step in learning how to read, according to the website Reading Rockets.
2. Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer. The Little Critter author and illustrator shows your child what a visit to the dentist is like and what to expect.
3. The Crocodile and the Dentist by Taro Gomi. Read an imaginative tale to your young child that features a dentist who is just as nervous about the visit as the patient. Your child will see what happens during an exam and repair and learn about tooth care through a cartoon crocodile.
4. Curious George Visits the Dentist by H.A. Rey. The famous monkey and the man in the yellow hat show kids that a trip to the dentist can be fun. Your child will get a kick out of seeing one of his favorite characters at his first dental visit.
5. The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist by Stan and Jan Berenstain. This tale is perfect for preschoolers who want to know more about the dentist. The beloved characters Brother and Sister Bear take a trip to the office, showing the importance of dental hygiene.
6. Dentist's Tools by Mary Elizabeth Saltzman. What are all of those shiny gizmos and gadgets at the dentist's office? These objects may look foreign to your child when he sits down in the chair for his appointment. Help your child to better understand what the tools are and what the dentist does with them by reading this book first.
7. Elmo Visits the Dentist by P.J. Shaw and Tom Brannon. Your child's favorite Sesame Street character gives an introduction to dental visits by taking the Big Bad Wolf to his appointment.
Before your child's next dentist appointment, sit down with your child and read a book about what will happen. Make the read-aloud interactive. Encourage your child to point to the pictures, say the names of new words with you and ask questions as you read along. Talk to your dentist, such as Kyle J Frisinger DMD, for more information.Share